Friday, December 14, 2012

Shining a light on Rub 'n Buff

As you know, we are moving.... which for me, means BLANK SLATE!  My, oh my...  To say I am excited about decorating our new digs is quite the understatement!  New walls to adorn, new colors to try... a whole new look for our new life, in a new city, in a new house! {{AHHH}}  

Momma is HAPPY!

It's also quite the undertaking and can get costly, which will make daddy UNhappy...
 so I am re-vamping as many things that we currently have to keep the budget to a minimum.  
In doing so, I'm trying things I've never done.  
Like using Rub n' Buff.  
I've seen several things on Pinterest where it's been used and I love the transformation, so I thought "eh..why not". 
My color palate is quite eclectic and I'm using lots of gold accents so I thought I'd try Rub n Buff's Gold leaf on my lamps.




I'm sure you're thinking I'm crazy.  These lamps are gorgeous the way they are.
I love these lamps.  I love the wood... I love the shape... I love everything about them...
But 
They need to work in my new space, so... I had to change em up a little.


 Let's get started.


 This is the BEST tool you can use for this product!

YOUR FINGER!

My first attempt was somewhat of a flop. I didn't know how to really use the product
... so it was clumpy. 
And let me tell ya.... a little goes a looooong way.
I was afraid of rubbing it off, so I didn't rub it enough. 
Ugh.  
I began rubbing it a little harder to see if I could rub the clumps off.  
And those areas did this...  



Which really looks pretty cool.  Happy accident for a new look..
 but it's distressed, and that's the opposite of what I'm going for. 

SO... What now??  What's a girl to do? 

SAND IT!  

Yup.  

I used 320 grit paper and voila!  
Smooth as a baby's butt and ready for a fresh coat of the Rub n Buff.


{Still... if you like distressed... this looks WAAY cool!}

I added a new coat and guess what?

It's smooth! 




I used a q-tip to get in the crevices.
This is only the first coat.  I will need two.  
You need to wait hourrsssss before you add another coat (another lesson learned).

Patience is golden.  (ba dom domp... pshhh)

Whatcha think?!  Once I get new shades (either black or emerald green), I think they'll be stunning!
  



But you'll have to wait until we're in the new house for that reveal  ;)

So go out and try something new! 

hugs,

k.



Spreadin the love:

seven-alive

Happy hour projects 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is fun, so leave a lil' love why don'cha :)